Author Topic: The apostrophe again...  (Read 5361 times)

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • In the heart of Shropshire
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
The apostrophe again...
« on: November 22, 2013, 05:02:56 pm »
We are here again. The local butcher is selling turkey's pheasant's and half lamb's. My question is, turkey's, pheasant's and half lamb's whats?
Best wishes,

Duncan

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Re: The apostrophe again...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 10:53:25 pm »
Yes, it's a constant annoyance - the poor maligned apostrophe. Shoved in where he's not required and left out where he's needed.
The thing is, it's not rocket science. At least I know all my classes of 12 year-olds left primary school knowing how to spell it's and its and when use them. I reckon that must be the most misspelt pair of words in the language. Those and your/you're.
But yes, the grocer's apostrophe is always cause to get out the red pen. And I have done so.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:33:59 am by darryl »

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 09:56:17 am »
There used to be an online apostrophe group which encouraged members to submit places where they had seen it mis-used, but I believe it has ceased operating. It is silly how such a simple thing can be so mis-understood. I have had arguments with seemingly educated people about the correct and incorrect use.
David

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 11:18:11 am »
I have had arguments with seemingly educated people about the correct and incorrect use.

So have I. Teachers are the worst. I have been told that its requires an apostrophe because it indicates possession. I suppose the same people would put an apostrophe in yours, theirs, ours and hers for the same reason.

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • In the heart of Shropshire
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 11:49:18 am »
It's enough to may you  :'(
Best wishes,

Duncan

Offline Bertha

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 12:06:08 pm »
There used to be an online apostrophe group which encouraged members to submit places where they had seen it mis-used, but I believe it has ceased operating. It is silly how such a simple thing can be so mis-understood. I have had arguments with seemingly educated people about the correct and incorrect use.

There is a group on Facebook called The Apostrophe Police: https://www.facebook.com/groups/5855188962/

Bertha