Author Topic: What is the Weather like Where You Are?  (Read 21303 times)

Offline Writing Skill

• Written Communication Company
What is the Weather like Where You Are?
« on: June 19, 2015, 05:27:48 am »
The temperature is 70 degrees with 100% humidity. It's been like this for about a week. There is a flash flood watch, and the Mississippi River is due to crest tomorrow. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 07:42:10 am by Writing Skill »
I help people get results with written subject matter.
Click on my link for details regarding my website.
www.writtencommunicationcompany.com

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Re: What is the Weather like Where You Are?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 09:35:33 am »
Midwinter, today's temp about 25 degrees C, nil wind, blue skies. Nice to see some blue after about two weeks of mist, wind and drizzle up here in the mountains. Approaching the shortest day of the year... dark at about now 6.30pm and comes light at about the same time am. I don't know how people could survive in those deep north or south latitudes where they have so much darkness in winter. Give me light! I met an American photographer once who was on a photo shoot here. He reckoned Australia was 'two stops overexposed'. (Photographers will understand that terminology)

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 12:00:51 pm »
Changes are again coming to Oklahoma. We just had a lot of rainfall from the remnants of a tropical storm, that is now moving east--probably what WS is experiencing now.  Several areas in southern Oklahoma are underwater with flooding, and the heavy rains also caused rock slides along the major north-south interstate highway adding more trouble because traffic has had to be rerouted to allow for rock removal.  The storms have left, but now the summer sun will raise the temperatures into the 90s (30s C.) along with humidity in the drying out process.  I am so glad that all the work on our AC system is complete--we are ready for the heat now! 
Bertha

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 02:26:58 pm »
About 20°C in Germany, cloudy but mostly dry with some drizzle in-between. Approaching the longest day of the year, which at my latitude, means 16.5 hours daylight (5am-9:30 pm). In comparison the shortest day of the year has  about 8 hours (8am-4pm).
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 02:34:26 pm »
I don't know how people could survive in those deep north or south latitudes where they have so much darkness in winter. Give me light!

The dark winter is the price for a magnificent day length in summer. I've bee to the North Cape a few years ago in summer when it doesn't get dark all night long.

Midnight1:http://millack.kilu.de/Norwegen_2007/p1020522.html
Midnight2:http://millack.kilu.de/Norwegen_2007/p1020559.html
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 02:36:35 pm by Britta »
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline Mister Mills

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 04:36:24 pm »
Midwinter, today's temp about 25 degrees C, nil wind, blue skies. Nice to see some blue after about two weeks of mist, wind and drizzle up here in the mountains. Approaching the shortest day of the year... dark at about now 6.30pm and comes light at about the same time am. I don't know how people could survive in those deep north or south latitudes where they have so much darkness in winter. Give me light! I met an American photographer once who was on a photo shoot here. He reckoned Australia was 'two stops overexposed'. (Photographers will understand that terminology)

Daryl,
I spent one year in Fort Greely Alaska, and you are right about deep north latitudes. It is frigid in the winter and the nights go on forever, and it can be depressing. But, I am an outdoors man, so I thrived in that seeming desolation, but there are periods of darkness that last for months.
The Sun comes up, but it remains on the horizon, or it rises for a few hours, and then it slips away.
One day I would love to see NZ, or Scotland, but it is only a wish. I am pretty old now, and I am glad that I managed to see Alaska and Germany.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 04:45:20 pm by Mister Mills »
D.R.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 09:18:14 am »
If you're an outdoors man, MM, then maybe Australia would suit you fine.  8) Lots of wilderness here and not as cold as Alaska.

Offline lewisahmed

• online nursing degree program
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 08:47:16 am »
In san jose humidity is 57% and wind 10mph. Cool, enjoying the day very much.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 11:28:15 pm »
In NQ clear, warm, 30 degrees C, spring weather. Need rain.

Gene

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 04:12:29 pm »
Darryl:
During WW-II, my ship stopped at Reykjavik, Iceland on several occasions during the winter months. At first I found the darkness depressing; however, as soon as I settled down and established a daily routine, the place became friendly. I believe a person can adjust to any environment. It is a state of mind……………….cheers……….GG

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 08:51:41 am »
I guess you are right Gene. But it would be a hard adjustment for me. I have been a creature of the sunlight and space for too long!  8)

Offline urban yokel

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 07:48:18 pm »
The temperature is 70 degrees with 100% humidity. It's been like this for about a week. There is a flash flood watch, and the Mississippi River is due to crest tomorrow.

Talking of weather, we'd be camping out in the hottest place on earth— Death Valley, CA.

Although this time of year could hardly bring in 134 F  (56.67 C) temps, the forecast would be in mid 70s (21 C) for the next three or four days. We will spend a week or two in this desolate place—our motor home would be fully stocked with food and water.

November through April is usually recommended for visitors to this tourist spot. Some adventurous dudes would dare outside this time frame however.

Deadly high temperature in mid summer is not too good to be in this area-- except locals who live and work here.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 10:39:56 pm by urban yokel »

Gene

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 10:54:37 pm »
I drove thru Death Valley once years ago. One factoid I remember is that all canned goods had to be removed during the summer months because of fear of exploding....................................GG

Offline happywheels9

• happy wheels
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 08:29:24 am »
Thank you a lot for providing individuals with such a superb possibility to read in detail from this website. It is often very pleasant and also full of amusement for me and my office co-workers to visit your web site at minimum thrice every week
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 09:41:28 am by admin »

Offline sarwanov

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 07:02:51 am »
Its sunny day here in Kurdistan :) :) :)
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.