Author Topic: iPhone Battery  (Read 10048 times)

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Re: iPhone Battery
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 11:22:48 pm »
I don't know much about phones, but I do remember in the photography business when NiCad rechargeable batteries came in, we were told that allowing the battery to go totally flat before recharge was a good thing. Apparently, with partial recharges, the batteries develop a 'memory' which over time makes them less able to be charged to full capacity. Don't know if that still applies with the more modern types of cells available today.

Offline JTL

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 12:18:01 am »
Blue words from me.

It is not good to charge the battery when the charged level has not dropped very low.

Most smart phones now are made with lithium-ion batteries which means you don't have to worry about recharging before they get too low. Life span of all batteries  Ni-Cad or Li-Ion (by design) are dependent upon the  recharging cycles that the batteries are subjected to.  Charging a battery more often than needed shortens its life.

Well, you do have to worry about how low it gets when you recharge because if you charge it when it is still high, you will have to charge more often, thus using more cycles.

The icon shows all white when fully charged. As it discharges, the white section becomes black.

Gene, I think it's the other way round. Black is fully charged—solid white is totally depleted.

For iPhone5, Gene is right.

I am waiting for the iPad mini 2 to become available.

Do you mean iPad 2?
I haven't seen any advertising for an upcoming  mini iPad 2.  The mini iPad (regular) has some features that the regular iPad doesn't have. Screen resolution is one--except of course the iPad 2 (not mini) with retina display.  Let me know how it works if you find one.

No, I did not mean iPad 2.  I mean iPad mini 2, which will be launched tomorrow (22-0ct-2013) together with the regular version of iPad, which is iPad 5.

So, what's this about using a phone to phone? 8)

It's ironic to think that smart phones are not primarily used for phone to phone communication.

They are!

Anywhere you go, you'll see them not being used the way they are intended to be used-- as example given by other posters. They use their phones for playing games. Makes me think why it's called smart phones.
Would you really spend $800.00 on a gadget the plays Donkey Kong? I know I won't. 8)

I cited an example of being in the restaurant.  When you are in the restaurant waiting for your food to come, you don't want to make noisy phone calls.  You will then try to use other functions of your phone.  This by no means means that people do not use their smartphones for making calls.  But, when what they want to say isn't urgent, and they don't wish to compel the other person to attend to the call immediately, they can post as a message using free apps such as Whatsapp.  Of course you know all these.

Wives know how to wash dishes, and many wives do wash many dishes often, and if you see wives washing dishes everywhere, or hear someone talk about a wife washing dishes...... it doesn't mean people marry their wives for dishes' sake.    ;D

Offline urban yokel

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 01:11:03 am »

No, I did not mean iPad 2.  I mean iPad mini 2, which will be launched tomorrow (22-0ct-2013) together with the regular version of iPad, which is iPad 5.

Yes I saw it just now as I was browsing. Thanks.
 I can't wait to find out what  new feature/s this new mini has to offer.

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 07:19:36 am »
Darryl ---  You've got company.  --- tk

Well, I do have a mobile phone but it's not smart. I use it for, uh, you know *wispers* telephone calls. I use about 10-15 min per month. Does that still make me a member of your exclusive club or do I have to open my own?
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 11:49:21 am »
With this discussion about mobile technology, you all might be interested in watching a recent segment of Bill Moyers interviewing Sherry Turkle who has done extensive research on the effects of technology.  http://billmoyers.com/segment/sherry-turkle-on-being-alone-together/
Bertha