Author Topic: iPhone Battery  (Read 9372 times)

Offline JTL

iPhone Battery
« on: October 19, 2013, 01:47:27 am »
Hi everyone!  I have some questions about the iPhone battery:

I recently bought an iPhone5 and I heard three things (from another user) about the battery:

1.  It is not good to charge the battery when the charged level has not dropped very low.
2.  But it is okay to stop charging anywhere before it is fully charged.
3.  And it is good to let the phone run entirely out of charge every once in a while.

Are these true?  If so, how low is sufficiently low in point 1 above?

I had refused to use smartphones because I did not have the need, and this resulted in my total ignorance about the smartphones.  But now I have one, and my questions begin.  Thank you in advance for your info from personal experience. 

JTL

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
Re: iPhone Battery
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 01:02:52 pm »
Read through this thread for information: https://discussions.apple.com/message/21958714#21958714

There are a couple of links in the second posting in the thread, which explain some information about battery life and when to recharge.
Bertha

Offline JTL

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 10:56:27 pm »
Thank you Bertha!  I have read through that thread and found sufficient info. 

JTL

Gene

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 01:08:59 am »
Hi JTL:

I have an iphone5 also. In the upper right hand corner of the main screen you will see a small icon of a battery. The icon shows all white when fully chrged. As it discharges, the white section becomes black. I usually recharge when the black occupies about 75% of the icon........................GG

Offline JTL

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 02:20:46 am »
Hi Gene!  Good to hear from someone using iPhone5.  What cool apps do you use on it?  I used to play Hay Day on my iPad before somebody (not me) broke it and had had to stop playing until I got this iPhone couple of days ago.  Playing Hay Day on the iPhone is much less enjoyable because of the small screen.  The Hay Day game is now having a Halloween and fall theme but I can't do decoration with such a small screen.  Sometimes I have to use a magnifying glass to look at the details of my farm.  I am waiting for the iPad mini 2 to become available, by which time, if nobody in the family objects, I should get one just for Hay Day.  I feel depraved being so addicted to a game, but then, what is the meaning of life, pray tell.   ::)

JTL

Gene

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 03:29:33 pm »
what is the meaning of life

JTL:

I have been searching for an answer to that question for over eighty years. The ancient Greeks, Aristotle, Plato, Socrates etc thought that being of service to other people was the answer. Let me know if you discover any other meaning.

As for iphone5 apps, I use my phone for simple things, suchas checking my e-mails, actual phoning, checking the stock markets and googling up answers to questions. Slick apps like yours I don't  use yet. I  could use some enlightment in that area. Clue me in....................................GG :)

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 04:37:11 pm »

And what's this about using a phone to phone? Not very  8)
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 11:25:31 pm »
I don't even own a phone. Guess that's not very  8) either.

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 12:15:39 am »
 :o
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker

Offline t k

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 02:35:39 am »
Darryl ---  You've got company.  --- tk

Offline JTL

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 03:25:05 am »
Darryl and TK, that's AWESOME, in this age.  My small family of three had been kind of awesome too, until this last week.  We used only the cheapest cellphones and every time when we were in a restaurant, my son would still take out his basic cellphone and start playing the simplistic built-in games.  I had wondered whether to tell him not to do so, because everybody else in the restaurant was swiping, not thumbing.  My concern was that while we didn't mind at all using the backward phone, others might think we were pitiful for not having the swipe thingy, and too stupid to not feel the shame of thumbing alone among the swiping crowd. I decided to let my son just do it as he pleased - why teach him vanity when he didn't know it. 

Gene, more later about apps. 

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 11:00:19 am »
That is  8)
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 12:43:12 pm »
... others might think we were pitiful for not having the swipe thingy,

I'm pitiful.  :'(

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 12:51:27 pm »
I like my little keyboard. The management likes swiping - presumably after many years of practice!
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker

Offline urban yokel

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 06:09:55 pm »
It is not good to charge the battery when the charged level has not dropped very low.

Most smart phones now are made with lithium-ion batteries which means you don't have to worry about recharging before they get too low. Life span of all batteries  Ni-Cad or Li-Ion (by design) are dependent upon the  recharging cycles that the batteries are subjected to.  Charging a battery more often than needed shortens its life.

The icon shows all white when fully charged. As it discharges, the white section becomes black.

Gene, I think it's the other way round. Black is fully charged—solid white is totally depleted.

I am waiting for the iPad mini 2 to become available.

Do you mean iPad 2?
I haven't seen any advertising for an upcoming  mini iPad 2.  The mini iPad (regular) has some features that the regular iPad doesn't have. Screen resolution is one--except of course the iPad 2 (not mini) with retina display.  Let me know how it works if you find one.

I have been searching for an answer to that question for over eighty years. The ancient Greeks, Aristotle, Plato, Socrates etc thought that being of service to other people was the answer. Let me know if you discover any other meaning.

It all depends how you want to describe life. Meaning of life can be described in a philosophical, scientific and metaphysical concepts.
Scientists interpret life in a mechanistic way (ie  life as derived from energy and chemistry)

So, what's this about using a phone to phone? 8)

It's ironic to think that smart phones are not primarily used for phone to phone communication.  Anywhere you go, you'll see them not being used the way they are intended to be used-- as example given by other posters. They use their phones for playing games. Makes me think why it's called smart phones.
Would you really spend $800.00 on a gadget the plays Donkey Kong? I know I won't. 8)

I have had several kinds of tablets, like iPad, Kindle (e-reader)  and smart phones.  I think that these gadgets offer convenience whether you live in a big city or small town.  I use them for banking, browsing, medical emergency, taking pictures or simply finding a place to eat.
Having tried different brands, I settled on  Apple iPad but Samsung on the smart phone simply because it does what  Apple can do--
 only a lot cheaper.  :D