Author Topic: Want perfect hard-boiled eggs?  (Read 13123 times)

Offline t k

Want perfect hard-boiled eggs?
« on: April 03, 2015, 10:50:44 pm »
Want perfect hard-boiled eggs?  Follow the one true way.  --- tk

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-perfect-hardboiled-eggs-20150329-story.html

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
Re: Want perfect hard-boiled eggs?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 11:09:38 pm »
That's the way I do hard-boiled eggs, too!  I have to make some deviled eggs this weekend, since it's Easter here.
Bertha

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 08:21:16 am »
I normally buy the perfect hard boiled egg - and they are perfect indeed (and already coloured  8).

So, how many minutes for a perfect soft boiled egg, i.e. the white part firm (no transparent runny stuff) and the yolk (mostly) liquid?
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 09:22:56 am »
So, how many minutes for a perfect soft boiled egg, i.e. the white part firm (no transparent runny stuff) and the yolk (mostly) liquid?

Yeah, I don't like that transparent runny stuff either!  :(
I recall we've had this discussion before, Britta. As a scientist, you would appreciate that your question encompasses many variables. What size is the egg? Is it freshly laid or been in cold storage? What is the ambient temperature? What is the temperaure of the boiling water? (altitude has a BIG effect).
At my place, large egg, fresh out of the chook, immediate immersion in boiling water - 6 minutes ... perfect.

Gene

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 04:14:27 pm »
I am amazed at the genius you folks show in cooking.

I can't even boil water let alone boil eggs. Everything I eat is either canned or frozen.........................You guys are smart...............GG

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 04:23:45 pm »
At my place, large egg, fresh out of the chook, immediate immersion in boiling water - 6 minutes ... perfect.

That's the way I do my soft boiled eggs, too, Darryl. But it must be possible to use TK's/Bertha's method, i.e. put the eggs in cold water, heat to boil, boil for 1 minute and switch off. Then wait - but for how long?

The other question is: Is that method for an electric stove (heat source cools down slowly) or a gas cooker (heat source is immediately gone)?
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 11:29:07 pm »
Yes, and could you 'boil' an egg successfully on Mount Everest. At that altitude water would boil at a much lower temp (about 70 degrees C perhaps). You would need a pressure cooker (or a very long time) to get a result.   :(

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 11:37:52 pm »

That's the way I do my soft boiled eggs, too, Darryl. But it must be possible to use TK's/Bertha's method, i.e. put the eggs in cold water, heat to boil, boil for 1 minute and switch off. Then wait - but for how long?

The other question is: Is that method for an electric stove (heat source cools down slowly) or a gas cooker (heat source is immediately gone)?

After removing the pan of eggs from the heat (whether that is electric or gas, no matter), I let the eggs sit 10-15 minutes before draining off the hot water and adding cold water. If the water gets warm, I pour that off and add more hot water until the eggs are cool enough to handle. Mind you, this is for hard-boiled eggs such as one might use to make deviled eggs, egg salad, etc.  If you want soft-boiled eggs, I wouldn't let them sit more than 5 minutes before changing out the water and peeling the shells.
Bertha

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 07:43:50 am »
Yes, and could you 'boil' an egg successfully on Mount Everest. At that altitude water would boil at a much lower temp (about 70 degrees C perhaps). You would need a pressure cooker (or a very long time) to get a result.   :(

Darryl, here is a good website to explain the Mount Everest situation. You wouldn't need that much longer actually. However, the reasoning is not totally true because that would mean, that when you leave an egg at room temperature for long enough you'd get a hard boiled egg. I can confirm from experience that this is NOT true.   :-[

p. s. The hardening of the egg is due to a degeneration of the proteins (they clot). For this the temperature needs to be at least 42°C. By the way: this is why a high fever is dangerous for the body.

Offline urban yokel

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 05:13:07 pm »
I am amazed at the genius you folks show in cooking.
I can't even boil water let alone boil eggs. Everything I eat is either canned or frozen.........................You guys are smart...............GG

Use your microwave oven for hard boiled egg.  My wife has a microwave boiler for years and it works perfect every time. You may have to try different time settings depending on the power (kilowatts) of your oven-- if the egg boiler didn't come with manual.

ebay.com/itm/Microwave-Egg-Boiler-by-Nordic-Ware-64802-New-Free-Shipping-/361228534238?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item541ae

I used it also when we camped at over 10000 ft elevation in one of Colorado's highest mountains  (Pikes Peak) so there's no worry about boiling water at that height.  Just fire up the AC generator and enjoy an eggs-citing breakfast.

At this elevation the AC Gen doesn't function efficiently compared at ground level but enough to run the microwave to cook the eggs.

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 07:14:55 am »
Use your microwave oven for hard boiled egg.  My wife has a microwave boiler for years and it works perfect every time.

Do NOT put the eggs into a microwave oven without a special boiler  8)

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 09:23:03 am »
Do NOT put the eggs into a microwave oven without a special boiler  8)

Well, you'd have to say it's spectacular. Pity about the clean-up job.   :(

Offline t k

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 04:33:38 am »
Here is a very convincing article justifying Darryl's method and coinciding with my several experiments.  --- tk

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:11:11 am by t k »

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 09:21:13 am »
Have you been struggling with your boiled eggs for the last twelve months, tk??  ;)

Offline t k

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 05:00:57 am »
No, Darryl, but recently I've been watching my wife's method, which is basically yours, and thinking of minimizing energy and time in making them.  Optimization is an engineer's disease, and knowing one good solution does not make him stop looking for another.  In a couple of more experiments, which will be hot-start steaming, I think I will leave the question in peace.  We were out of eggs today.  --- tk