Author Topic: Should I worry about this?  (Read 9544 times)

Offline JTL

Re: Should I worry about this?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 12:15:24 am »

Instead of having to worry about how to correct it, the easiest and cheapest way is to replace the corroded one.  Disconnect and leave the old one in the ground.
In conclusion, as I've mentioned, ground rods don't last indefinitely. Corrosion occurs no matter what, that is why it is recommended to have it inspected regularly. As the saying goes:  Mother nature claims anything that we put in the ground.

Urban Yokel, thank you very much for all the information!  I haven't talked to my electrician about the matter but I can expect that he will think I worry too much.  My next question is this:

Will a person get electrocuted if he/she accidentally touches a buried ground rod or the wire connecting to it?

I have also read somewhere that if multiple ground rods are to be buried, they should be separated from each other at a distance greater than their vertical length.  Why so? 

JTL

Offline urban yokel

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 03:08:49 am »
Will a person get electrocuted if he/she accidentally touches a buried ground rod or the wire connecting to it?

If  both wire and ground rod are in direct contact with earth ( and both are still bonded together at the electrical panel) there would be no danger of electricution. 

I have also read somewhere that if multiple ground rods are to be buried, they should be separated from each other at a distance greater than their vertical length.  Why so?

NEC provision requires multiple ground rods to be spaced not less than 6 feet (1.83m) apart.  If you install ground rods longer than eight feet (2.44m) in length, you can have a spacing greater than six feet.

Why so?

The paralleling efficiency is much improved when spacing is greater than six feet. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 03:16:02 am by urban yokel »

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 05:47:31 am »
Perhaps I could draw upon UY's expertise in this field also. We have been discussing earth wires and so on, but I notice that some of the electrical appliances we have (usually the ones of a smaller wattage) do not have an earth terminal on the plug. Why is this? I thought (perhaps wrongly) that the earth on a 240v three point plug was a safety measure. So how come some appliances don't have an earth pin??

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 08:17:31 am »
They are double insulated.
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 08:42:27 am »
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†