Author Topic: a new taste  (Read 9884 times)

Offline t k

Re: a new taste
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 07:44:14 pm »
Thank you, all.

I'll look around for barramundi burgers and fish tacos, the latter more likely to be found here.

Yes, Davel.  Sushi of all kinds is quite familar to me.  Maybe squirming cut-up parts of a small live octopus might be something new for you to try.  They tastes okay with a little sesame oil and salt, but the feel might be at first strange.  --- tk

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 09:59:41 pm »
Darryl:

What in h---  is a barra burger?................................................GG

Barra.  Barramundi. Very tasty fish.

Google images: barra burger

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 10:05:40 am »
When I was in Japan, a friend ordered a live fish that was served still opening and closing its gills. The body had been serrated and it was on a skewer. You used your chop sticks to pick off pieces of the flesh. I tried a piece just to say that I had eaten it.

My mind tells me that if God put it on this earth, then it is OK for me to eat it. My brain tells me that I should not be fussy and like everything. My mouth and tongue tell me that there are some things that I simply don't like. Octopus and squid fall into this last category - I don't really hate them, but given a choice, I will choose something else.
Davel,
an Anglo-American citizen of the world

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2014, 04:07:23 pm »
If I had a live animal on a skewer on my plate I would probably not be able to eat anything for the rest of the day. :o

I know it's quite normal for animals to be eaten alive by other animals, but I'm not going to eat anything still alive (that includes oysters). I'm quite definitely a scavenger, i.e. somebody who eats dead animals only if they have been killed by somebody else.  8)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 04:10:15 pm by Britta »
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline t k

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 10:21:28 pm »
When you get your jar of Vegemite you will have to let us know what you think of the taste, TK.

The jar arrived, I tasted it, I liked the flavor immediately, but it was too salty.  Next trial would be a slice of toast with "very" thin not-even-a-layer-but-a-touch of it.  It reminds me of the flavor of some fermented food such as bean pastes, which I am used to and like very much.  I feel that I can make good use of it, not only by spreading it here and there, but also by mixing or cooking it with other things.

Darryl ---  I would appreciate your sharing experiences in mix-and-match with vegemite.  Thanks.  --- tk

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 11:17:35 pm »
TK, I'm glad your reaction wasn't one of instant revulsion, as many newcomers to Vegemite display. It is an acquired taste, but when you've grown up with it ...
I'm not sure there is much to 'mix-n- match' with Vegemite. It's mainly eaten here as a spread (thinly) on toast but it is nice on crackers with some tasty cheese.
Judy has a recipe for something she calls pinwheels, that feature Vegemite. I'll get her to post it here for you. Watch this space.  :P

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 11:38:07 pm »
Hi TK, this is Judy speaking.  Vegemite can be used as a flavour boost in stews and  soups.  Many, many years ago poorer families used it to help them survive by mixing a large spoon of it in boiling water to have with bread and butter.  It has lots of Vit. B. 

The pinwheels are made with a sheet of puff pastry.  Spread the vegemite over the pastry (not too much) and sprinkle with grated cheese (needs to be a matured cheese with a bit of flavour).  Roll the pastry into a log shape then cut the log into 1cm pieces.  Lay the pieces flat on a tray and bake in a hot oven until golden brown.  It makes great finger food at parties

Bon appetit.

Offline t k

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2014, 02:34:41 am »
Thanks, Darryl and Judy.  It's nice to meet you here, Judy.  Thanks for the recipe.  It sounds simple and good.  --- tk

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2014, 08:07:51 am »
Thanks, Darryl and Judy.  It's nice to meet you here, Judy.  Thanks for the recipe.  It sounds simple and good.  --- tk

Hi Judy. Thanks from here as well. I think I'll try that, too.
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline t k

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 12:13:17 am »
Yesterday, I smeared little vegemite on tortillas when I made burritos.  The fillings included salmon, eggplant, bok choi, green beans, mushroom, onion, and most importantly, fermented soy beans, called cheonggukjang (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheonggukjang).  I feel that vegemite, salmon, and cheonggukjang made a delicious combination.  If you do not use cheonggukjang for some reason, aged cheese would work; they have similar flavors to me.  --- tk

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 12:09:51 pm »
Those burritos are interesting with different ingredients than what are usually found in them here in the States!
Bertha

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 09:06:15 am »
I read once that when describing food, the word "interesting" is used to mean: "that sounds awful, but I am too polite to say so." ha ha

I am usually to try anything once, although things like vegemite and marmite are not at all to my taste - I guess yes, I have tried them once, but never again!
Davel,
an Anglo-American citizen of the world